Wednesday 13 June 2012

and you thought Bubble Tea couldn't get any worse

You probably already know that I don't have good things to say about Bubble Tea. Despite people assuring me that there are versions that aren't obscenely packed with sugar, I haven't found one. And the ridiculous price that one pays for a huge cup of sugar water makes it all that much easier to walk right past any Bubble Tea establishment.

However, there's been a bit of a Bubble Tea renaissance here in Germany, and in Munich in particular. So much so that McDonald's is getting in on the act. Take a look for yourself:



Chan McTi, eh? Mc TEA, get it?

That's not at all racist, is it? He's supposedly Chinese, but he screams out 'Bubblezaiiiii...', which is a play on the Japanese Banzai Charge. So not only are McDonald's being insensitive, but they can't keep their inane stereotypes straight.

Nice.

I know it's easy to get self-righteous about this organisation. The Golden Arches really do make themselves an easy target. If I ever do find a tolerable example of Bubble Tea, it won't be at McDonald's. I know they have plenty of customers, but I'm most certainly not one of them.

4 comments:

  1. I can't even comment what I'm really thinking! This is so strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Did my best to be polite. Wasn't easy.

      Delete
  2. what a horrible ad. I haven't set foot in a McDs in about 10 years, and I don't intend to any time soon. I do enjoy bubble tea now and again, but usually just plain black tea with milk. usually sans tapioca as well. It's only good when you can actually taste some tea with sweet milk, and not cloying, artificial flavors. The good ones are hard to find...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've heard. The Bubble Tea that actually tastes anything like tea is something I have yet to find. And nearly every time I've ordered one, it's been an overpriced gamble.

      And in this gamble, so far the house is winning. I've nearly given up on the whole prospect.

      Delete