Sunday 15 May 2011

layers of leftover tea

See that orange flask over on the right there? Got back last weekend from several weeks on the road, and that flask served me well. Quite well.

There was a patina left over from all that tea, and I was faced with a dilemma. Many people believe you never clean a teapot. That the caked on remains of earlier tea supposedly enhances your newly brewed tea. Ok, I'm still undecided on this, but that's a teapot. What about a thermos? Is it the same thing?

I've used different products on the German market and good old vinegar is sometimes the most effective at taking away the old tea. But once again, is cleaning my teapot or my flask actually hurting the taste of my tea?

Do you clean your teapot? With what?

3 comments:

  1. Just water!
    Although, a mix of water and baking soda will get those tea stains off without affecting the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leftover tea in my travel mug actually hinders new tea, not enhances - especially if it's a radically different kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't generally clean my teapot, no. Just a quick rinse with some water if I'm so inclined. Same goes for my travel mugs. Unless I leave tea sitting in it for a few days. Then I might use a little soap. Unless it's my Yixing cup but that's another beast.

    I would think that if you have tea 'residue' left in your pot/mug/whatever it would interfere with the taste or flavor of the new tea you are drinking. Unless you always drink the same thing.

    ReplyDelete